The cooler weather also allows us to shift gears on the golf course. Some projects that have been on our radar for some time are now being addressed. As the heat subsides and the grass growth rate slows, our team is able to redirect their efforts to other parts of the course for attention. Ben and his team have done a remarkable job restoring the fairways, rebuilding greens and bunkers and making the playing surfaces ideal since the course has reopened. Now, it’s time to start expanding those playing surfaces for those of you (I’m not mentioning any names here) who occasionally miss the prime playing surfaces and find yourselves “off the beaten path” from time to time. Our agro team is lowering the cuts on many areas considered secondary rough this time of year. We’ll be maintaining the height of that second layer of rough slightly higher than the primary rough but less than before.
Last weekend was our inaugural Club Championship event on the golf course. This elite field of players battled it out over 36 holes. Rob Simmons took the overall Men’s Club Championship honors while Isabelle Sorbello won the Ladies Championship. Katz Fujino took the prize for Net Champion. The highlight of the tournament was watching our juniors compete for the Junior Championship. While Marion Simmons outlasted his fellow competitors, Hogan Wareham and Wallace Simmons, it gave us great joy to watch these three young gentlemen compete in this great and honorable game. Each of these young men were a joy to watch and we’re so proud to call them Cat Island Club members.
Cat Island Club members were also treated to a wonderful wine tasting event last week. Dylan from Southern Glazer’s was on site and provided an exceptional presentation of wines paired with light bites prepared by Chef Lucas. If you missed it, no worries! Upcoming events include:
- Saturday, October 28th: Spooky Soiree at the Clubhouse
– This is holiday fun for the whole family!
– Kicked off with Trunk or Treat and followed by great food, hay rides, bobbing for apples and more! Think fall festival.
- Saturday, November 4th – Sunday, November 5th: Member / MemberGolf Championship
– Kick off the tournament with Bloody’s and Breakfast!
– Celebrate the winners at the buffet reception.
- Tuesday, November 7th: RLB Spirits Tasting
– RLB Distillery will be serving craft spirits accompanied by chocolate treats.
- Wednesday, November 15th: Holiday Wine Show
– We will be hosting 3 wine vendors who will present everything from everyday wine to premium selections to make you the best host/hostesses on Cat Island and beyond.
– All wines available for pre-order.
– Chef Lucas will prepare passed appetizers, food stations and dessert to accompany your tasting journey.
While we love to look forward in all that we do at Cat Island Club, sometimes it’s a treat for me to visit with so many people and hear the great stories about Cat Island Club that were well before our time as the new owners. Stories from days gone by and friendships forged at this club are always welcomed. I had a gentleman in my office just earlier today who lit up as he talked about his friendships with fellow golfers and the fact that he made a hole in one, on each of the four par threes. I like to tell everyone when they are reminiscing, it’s our mission to raise the bar and create even more memories! There may be better places to spend your time, but for the life of me, I can’t image where those would be.
Have a great week friends. Play more golf, eat the dessert, laugh and enjoy the best that life has to offer.
With warmest regards,